By Ariane Bilodeau, Copywriter/editor, and health & food blogger
Recently, I share with you my very best tips for traveling with dietary restrictions. But how to put everything into practice? How to eat well while maintaining our eating habits despite being on a tight schedule, carrying a packed luggage, and feeling hungry more often than usual? Here is a little recap of my most recent trip: a hiking road trip in Utah and Nevada.
Before my trip
- I visited my local health food store to stock up on snacks (mostly protein bars).
- I bought a few nutrient-dense prepackaged and non-perishable meals and made sure to bring an insulated container and reusable spork (spoon-fork).
- I also brought a shaker and Ziplock bags filled with powdered peanut butter and chocolate protein powder for a quick and yummy breakfast option.
During my stay
- I visited Happycow.com on a regular basis and compared the results to lists of "best gluten-free restaurants" to find restaurants offering gluten-free AND vegan options.
- I read labels and asked questions&mdashit was not the time to take chances.
- I kept my eyes peeled, as restaurants often indicated information like "gluten-free options" and “vegan” in their window.
I ended up eating super tasty gluten-free and vegan meals throughout my trip. I had enough energy to do demanding hikes (never without my ReFlex spray, to avoid aches!) and withstand the overwhelming heat of the desert. And I also discovered some great spots! We absolutely loved The Rocking V Cafe in Kanab (Utah), the trendy Zest Kitchen & Bar in Salt Lake City (Utah), and Blaze Pizza, a network of pizzerias offering gluten-free crust and vegan cheese.
A vegan taco from one of the food trucks at Salt Lake City's trendiest shopping destination, The Gateway.
I bought this at home, and it saved my life many times! It's delicious both hot and cold.
LOVED this tex-mex quinoa and polenta dish from The Rocking V Cafe in Kanab, Utah.
Yummy jackfruit sandwich. For each sandwich sold, Even Stevens donates a sandwich to a homeless person.
My delicious gluten-free vegan pizza from Blaze Pizza.
Coming soon: How to Be Vegan on a Budget