Why are omega-3′s important?
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential: as they cannot be naturally made by the human body, they need to be consumed in the diet or taken as nutritional supplements. Polyunsaturated fats, such as omega-3, can reduce cholesterol levels, help protect against cardiovascular disease, strengthen the immune system and play a role in the preservation of the protective membranes covering the nervous system.
Omega-3 fats play a crucial role in brain function, help improve learning abilities and fight memory loss, support eye health, reduce inflammation (their anti-inflammatory properties improve muscle recovery after physical exercise), act as a natural mood stabilizer and help lower the risk of depression.
Food sources of omega-3 fats include:
- Cold water fish
- Walnuts, almonds and pumpkin seeds
- Green vegetables
- Olive and flaxseed oils
- Flax, chia and hemp seeds
However, as the amount of nutrients in our food is getting lower and lower due to commercial food processing and industrialization, it is best to add nutritional supplements – such as
Omega-3 Land Art
RECIPE: HOLIDAY GRILLED VEGETABLE SALAD WITH FETA
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into squares
- 5 beets, peeled and cut into squares
- 1 large red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. coconut or olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (if lactose intolerant, use feta made from goat milk)
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp. Land Art Omega-3
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tsp. maple syrup
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the vegetables (squash, beets, onion and garlic) as indicated.
- Place the vegetables in a bowl and add the melted coconut oil (or olive oil) and the honey. Mix well.
- Spread vegetables out on the cookie sheet, then add the rosemary sprigs, sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop the almonds and the parsley. Crumble the feta.
- Prepare the dressing.
- Mix the grilled vegetables with the remaining ingredients, then add the dressing.