This year on Christmas Day, I’ll be celebrating my fifth “veganniversary”, and I can't believe how fast the time has flown by already.
When I first experienced the Holiday season as a vegan, I had stopped eating animal products only a few months earlier. The approaching period of celebrations and family dinners was very stressful for me. Just thinking about traditional meat-packed dishes and cheese platers made me nervous, and I didn't dare ask anyone to adapt the menu for me.
A disappointing experience encouraged me to come up with a few tips to attending group parties without feeling deprived or guilty, and without leaving the place still hungry. I also decided to start new traditions and try new things!
Here are some ideas for the Holiday season that is just around the corner:
- Host your own traditional&mdashbut 100% plant-based&mdashHoliday dinner with your family or friends.
- Bring a friend or family member to a vegetarian cooking class.
- Offer homemade or store-brought vegan gifts so that your loved one can learn more about veganism in a positive way. Some ideas:
- Homemade delicacies
- Local vegan products (cosmetics, soaps, bath products, food jars, vegan cheeses, chocolates, sweets, etc.) Psst your favourite vegan LandArt product also fits great in a Christmas stocking!
- A night out to your favourite vegan restaurant
- Knitwear made using synthetic or vegetal yarn
- Plant-based cookbooks (there are several books by local chefs that are worth checking out!)
- Faux leather bag or wallet (I recommend the local brand Matt & Nat)
What about you? How do you celebrate the Holidays a la vegan?